While the bigger dialog about plant economics and mass retirements within the U.S. has been centered on coal and nuclear energy vegetation, the nation’s a lot smaller biomass energy business is grappling with comparable points in markets the place low cost pure fuel, wind, and photo voltaic era sources are proliferating. See extra at: “U.S. Biomass Power, Dampened by Market Forces, Fights to Stay Ablaze” in POWER’s October 2018 subject.

According to the Energy Information Administration (EIA), the variety of biomass (or biopower) vegetation producing electrical energy from combustion, co-firing, gasification, anaerobic digestion, and pyrolysis, almost doubled between 2003 and 2016 (from 485 to 760). Yet, biomass energy accounted for only one.6% of web U.S. electrical energy era in 2017, producing 64,057 GWh. Production has fluctuated barely—and diversified extensively by area (Figure 1)—since 2013, when the business produced 60,858 GWh.

The 10 states that produced probably the most web biomass era in 2017 have been: California (5,911 GWh); Florida (four,941 GWh); Georgia (four,917 GWh); Virginia (four,035 GWh); Alabama (three,377 GWh); Maine (2,930 GWh); Louisiana (2,796 GWh); South Carolina (2,687 GWh); North Carolina (2,633 GWh); and Michigan (2,578 GWh). Over the previous 5 years, Virginia’s web biomass era surged 39%; Georgia’s, 29%; South Carolina’s, 21%; Alabama’s, 17%; and Florida’s, 11%. But California’s web biomass era shrank 11%; Maine’s, 24%; and Michigan’s, 5%. Fourteen different states noticed decreases, together with Idaho (29%); Illinois (19%); and Texas (10%). Source: EIA/POWER

https://e.infogram.com/js/dist/embed.js?DuU

Change in Biomass Generation (2013 to 2017)
Infogram

—Sonal Patel is a POWER affiliate editor (@sonalcpatel, @POWERmagazine)

The put up Interactive Chart: Change in U.S. Biomass Generation (2013 to 2017) appeared first on POWER Magazine.

Read more at Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here