The Louis J. Goulet drillship started life as a bulk provider carrying coal, grain, iron ore and pulpwood via the previous St. Lawrence Canals.
The ship was constructed by Davie Shipbuilding at Lauzon, QC and had been commissioned on July 20, 1957. The 78.94 metre lengthy bulk provider joined the Hall Corporation of Canada as Coniscliffe Hall.
Several firm working mates have been lengthened when the brand new waterway opened however Coniscliffe Hall was not amongst them. It continued in service till tying up at Kingston on Sept. 28, 1971. The ship remained idle there till clearing below its personal energy on Oct. 15, 1973 and sailed to Port Colborne The ship remained idle there till clearing below its personal energy on Oct. 15, 1973. The vacation spot was Port Colborne on the southern finish of the Welland Canal, within the Niagara Region of Southern Ontario.
In 1913, 82 years in the past the primary effectively was drilled in Lake Erie. The effectively was positioned 320 toes offshore in Romney Township in Kent County in Southern Ontario, Canada. Technology had modified since 1913 from the wood drilling towers put in at some 300 ft. from shore and shallow water jackups have been dropped at the lake.
Coniscliffe Hall was refitted and, on May 12, 1975, was renamed Telesis by Underwater Gas Developers. The small drillship turned the alternative for the Nordrill jackup and commenced drilling in 1975. Due to its capacity to drill in water depths of as much as 225 ft, the vessel had a bonus over the jackups of that point. The vessel labored the summer time months on Lake Erie and, when not in use, the blue-hulled barge was often moored in Port Colborne
The title of the drillship was modified to Louis J. Goulet in 1998 and have become a part of Pembina Exploration Ltd. It spent its idle time at Port Maitland on the North shore of Lake Erie, however was bought to Bahamas Oil in 2000. Louis J. Goulet departed Port Colborne, below tow, on Oct. 5, 2001 and went south for exploratory effectively drilling off Walker’s Cay, the northernmost island within the Bahamas.
Listed as Liberty Hunter later within the 12 months, this title could not have been painted on the hull earlier than the ship broke free throughout hurricane Wilma in October 2005 after solely restricted service and landed on a reef as a complete loss.
From there, the weather took over and the ageing hull steadily succumbed to the ravages of rust and put on close to South Man-O-War channel. The superstructure was later minimize right down to the waterline, and all that is still of the previous lakes dealer rests in shallow water on the website.
(Source: The Niagara Falls Review/AAPG/ Lake Erie Natural Gas Resource Development)
The put up LOUIS J. GOULET THE FORGOTTEN DRILLSHIP OF LAKE ERIE appeared first on Energy Global News.