MAN Energy Solutions has accomplished the growth of the ‘Sund’ energy plant close to the Faroese capital Tórshavn and efficiently handed the plant over to native vitality provider, Elfelagið SEV.

Four MAN 9L51/60 engines have been efficiently built-in into the islands’ hybrid energy-system and can complement the present energy station with an extra 37 MW energy era, in addition to district heating capability.

Read extra about
Renewable vitality
MAN Energy

To provide electrical energy to the virtually 52,000 islanders, SEV depends on an clever mixture of renewable vitality sources, storage options and power-plant engines to make sure grid stability.

Danish power-plant specialist, Burmeister & Wain Scandinavian Contractor A/S (BWSC), was primarily liable for development of the Sund energy plant, which is the most important of the Faroe’s three engine-driven energy vegetation.

Besides these, SEV additionally operates different, hydroelectric energy vegetation in addition to a number of wind farms and energy-storage options. In this fashion, all accessible assets of the islands could be optimally used for energy provide.

“The function of the Sund energy plant has modified over the previous few years. Today, it nonetheless serves to safe the baseload, however it has additionally turn out to be an indispensable backup that compensates for weather-related fluctuations of renewable energies,” mentioned Dr Tilman Tütken, Head of Region Europe, Business Unit Power Plants at MAN Energy Solutions.

The MAN 51/60 engines are meant to run at 80% load and thus to generate district heating with the remaining 20% serving as a variable reserve.

“Our engines can improve their output at any time to compensate for energy fluctuations and are throttled again when wind or precipitation circumstances enhance,” added Tütken. “Thanks to this setup, SEV can, on the one hand, exploit the total potential of renewable vitality and, alternatively, assure most grid stability.”

“The remoted vitality system within the Faroe Islands is a formidable instance of how all accessible vitality assets could be built-in into an clever and modern microgrid,” mentioned Tütken. “In our view, the longer term is hybrid and the Faroe Islands’ vitality system can positively act as a mannequin for different tasks.”

Sign up for our e-newsletter

The submit MAN Energy completes hybrid energy plant in Faroe Islands appeared first on Power Engineering International.

Read more at Source link

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here