Evergy, Inc. introduced with Kansas Gov. Laura Kelly that it’ll broaden its wind vitality portfolio by 660 megawatts, and scale back carbon output by 80 % beneath 2005 ranges by 2050. Electricity from 4 new wind vitality websites will probably be used to draw and retain giant industrial and industrial prospects.
Evergy introduced its dedication to realize an 80 % discount in carbon dioxide emissions beneath 2005 ranges from its fleet of energy crops by 2050, which is a dedication in step with the Paris Climate Accord. By the tip of 2020, Evergy may have reached an estimated 40 % discount in emissions.
Evergy highlighted the important thing parts of a plan to realize this important emissions discount:
• Retiring all coal energy crops within the Evergy fleet on the finish of their helpful life, which is presently estimated to be between 2040-2050, apart from Iatan 2 in Missouri;
• Continuing to make important investments in renewable vitality and vitality effectivity;
• Operating the Wolf Creek Nuclear Station till its license expires in 2045; and
• Adding a small quantity of pure gasoline technology, if extra carbon-free technology just isn’t obtainable inside the plan’s timeframe.
“Reducing carbon emissions and rising the quantity of wind vitality on our system advantages our prospects by decreasing working prices and by making our operations extra environmentally sustainable,” mentioned Terry Bassham, Evergy president and chief govt officer.
Evergy will add 660 megawatts of wind to its technology portfolio. This addition will convey the entire quantity of wind serving Evergy prospects to four,535 megawatts, making Evergy one of many high 5 wind vitality firms within the United States. The vitality from these wind farms will probably be used to help and broaden Evergy’s Direct Renewables Program, which permits Kansas firms to entry clear wind vitality to develop into extra sustainable and scale back the general price of vitality. Evergy plans to make use of the extra wind vitality as an financial growth software to draw producers and know-how firms who’re in search of cost-effective, sustainable and carbon-free vitality.
Combined, the 4 new wind initiatives convey $180 million financial profit to the area, together with tons of of development jobs and dozens of everlasting inexperienced vitality jobs. The initiatives are:
• Expedition Wind, a 199 MW challenge being developed by National Renewable Solutions in Marion County, Kan.
• Flat Ridge three, a further 128 MW of wind technology being developed by AEP Renewables close to Kingman, Kan.
• Jayhawk Wind, a 193 MW wind challenge being developed by Apex Clean Energy in Crawford and Bourbon Counties, Kan., with Evergy buying energy from 155 MW of the location.
• Ponderosa Wind, from which Evergy will buy 178 MW of wind vitality from the location being developed by a subsidiary of NextEra Resources, LLC, south of Liberal, Kan., in Oklahoma.
“Evergy is a nationwide chief in renewables. In reality, thanks largely to our wind investments, Kansas now ranks Number One within the nation for per capita wind technology,” Bassham mentioned.
Evergy, Inc. serves roughly 1.6 million prospects in Kansas and Missouri. The firm generate almost half the ability it offers to properties and companies with emission-free sources.
(Source: Evergy – Meridian Way windfarm, Kansas/Wichita Eagle)
The put up US FIRM EVERGY TO ADD 660 MW OF WIND ENERGY TO ITS PORTFOLIO appeared first on Energy Global News.