Driven by greater photo voltaic power and wind manufacturing and decrease client demand, Hawaiian Electric stated that achieved a 34.5 % consolidated renewable portfolio commonplace (RPS) in 2020.
The 34.5 % is the consolidated RPS for Oʻahu, Hawaiʻi Island and Maui County, up from 28.four % in 2019. Hawaiian Electric exceeded the state requirement to succeed in 30 % by 2020 and has greater than tripled the quantity of renewable power on its electrical grids in 10 years, up from just below 10 % in 2010.
Even if electrical energy use had been the identical as in 2019, Hawaiian Electric would have nonetheless reached a renewable portfolio commonplace of 32 %.
“Exceeding the state renewable power mandate underscores Hawaiian Electric’s dedication to switch imported fossil fuels at a tempo that retains us on the trail to be carbon impartial by 2045,” stated Scott Seu, president and CEO of Hawaiian Electric. “Despite the challenges of the pandemic, we pressed ahead alongside our group, authorities and renewable power growth companions and our clients.”
The RPS represents the renewable power utilized by clients as a share of whole utility gross sales. Other 2020 RPS highlights:
- Maui County reached 50.eight % RPS, hitting the 50 % mark for the primary time. With a mixture of photo voltaic, wind and biofuels, Maui County’s RPS represents an almost 25 % improve from 40.eight % RPS in 2019.
- Oʻahu recorded a 30.5 % RPS, exceeding 30 % for the primary time and up 5 share factors from 25.2 % in 2019.
- Hawaiʻi Island hit 43.four %, in comparison with 34.7 % in 2019. The gradual return of Puna Geothermal Venture, which got here again on-line in November, will play a bigger position in 2021; PGV shut down in May 2018 because of the Kīlauea eruption.
- Total electrical energy generated by renewable power sources elevated 13 % over 2019.
“Reaching 30 % on Oʻahu is particularly vital, contemplating there may be much less land out there for grid-scale tasks and extra companies and houses utilizing electrical energy,” Seu stated. “That’s why having 36 % of single-family properties utilizing rooftop photo voltaic is such an essential aspect of the renewable portfolio.”
Some of the elements that drove the year-over-year improve embody:
- A full yr of manufacturing from West Loch Solar and Clearway Energy grid-scale photo voltaic services
- Increased manufacturing from personal rooftop photo voltaic, with almost 6,000 new methods coming on-line in 2020. There are 87,848 methods and three.7 million photo voltaic panels, together with rooftop and grid-scale services, producing electrical energy on the 5 island grids.
- Higher wind manufacturing
- Lower electrical energy use because of the COVID-19 pandemic
The subsequent RPS milestone required by state legislation is to succeed in 40 % by 2030.
The put up Hawaiian Electric hits almost 35% renewable power, exceeding RPS appeared first on Renewable Energy World.