Webinar broadcast date: Tuesday, 23 February 2021
07h00 New York | 12h00 GMT | 12h00 London | 13h00 Amsterdam | 14h00 Johannesburg | 17h30 New Delhi | 20h00 Singapore | 23h00 Melbourne
The coal business represents 19% of complete employment in mining in South Africa. The Minerals Council of South Africa says web funding within the coal business declined by 15% between 2010 and 2018, regardless of coal being the most important supply of electrical energy within the nation.
Moreover, 70% of coal quantity is consumed domestically and the coal business spends billions on procuring items and companies domestically, thus contributing to creating and sustaining jobs in different industries.
However, financing to mitigate or adapt to looming local weather points is receiving increasingly more consideration throughout Africa. For the second, in South Africa, this nonetheless lags behind conventional thermal technology and commonplace operational issues. While an rising variety of governments are beginning to think about a extra sustainable vitality transition as central to future local weather methods, this philosophy raises queries round discovering the stability between embracing clear vitality and exploiting least value sources.
Join us for a webinar exploring the query of coal within the vitality sector. In this webinar, our company unpack the priority across the position of conventional technology within the vitality transition the place Africa’s extra instant downside is that of modernisation and growth.
Key dialogue factors will embody:
- Is the idea of unpolluted coal applied sciences attainable or an oxymoron?
- Is a transfer to exploiting extra fuel sources a step in the proper path?
- Do the worldwide pandemic and related drop in oil income characterize an opportunity to refocus direct non-public funding away from coal; and
- Where do human sources match into the vitality transition?
- Gaylor Montmasson-Clair, Senior Economist, Trade & Industrial Policy Strategies (TIPS), South Africa
- Dr Tony Surridge, Technical Advisor, Geoscience Council, South Africa
- Ted Blom, Energy & Mining Analyst, South Africa
Nicolette Pombo-van Zyl, Editor | ESI Africa
Sign up for our publication
The submit Webinar 23 Feb: The query of coal within the vitality transition appeared first on Power Engineering International.